'Gesture 7.2a' from 'The Joy of Loss'

Friday, June 24, 2011

The performance rig

A few people have emailed me asking about the performance rig, so I thought I'd post up some detail about it.  Pictures of the rig will be taken during the tech week, so I'll be sure to post them.

Essentially, I'll be using two keyboards and a variety of supplementary instruments.

One of the keyboards is a Kawai MP5 stage piano, which has a great action.  I'll be doing simple real-time envelope shaping during the performance as well as some filter tweaking...

The other keyboard is an M-Audio Keystation ES-88 controlling a Pro-Tools 8 session.  Within the session, I have two X-Pand softsynths running, each mapped into four interlocking keyzones.  I'm also running Garritan World Instruments within the session, and have Record re-wired in for some granular synthesis (Maelstrom), a bank of sines (NN-19), and some 'arhythmic' patches in Thor and Subtractor.

The supplementary instruments includes some small LP hand percussion, an mbira, and a melodion.

Joining me in performance will be Grant Johansen on flugelhorn, trumpet, trombone and live electronics.

The performance takes place during the time of the eight-channel surround installation, which is composed using sines (both audible and infrasonic), and other generated material dispersed octaphonically.

Pictures to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment