'Gesture 7.2a' from 'The Joy of Loss'

Monday, September 12, 2011

Opening night beckons

The Joy of Loss opens in just a couple of days, and I have been finalising a range of components as well as preparing for the opening performance...

Not just practicing and rehearsing, but moving into the right spirit for the piece...

One of the ways I do this is revisit a piece that I used to perform reasonably often, one which puts me in the space, helps me be present. 

The piece is Karlheinz Stockhausen's  Aus den seiben tagen. These are works of words that explore what is within - an intuitive music for ensemble. There are 'text instructions' - though I use that term very loosely - operating as pathways to musical intuition, another realm of sound, an intersection of the spirit and the body.

You can find these text instructions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment